GIS 5027 - Land Use/Land Cover Classification


The second week of Photo Interpretation and Remote Sensing was focused on Land Use/Land Cover Classification and Accuracy Assessments. Students were tasked with using the USGS Land Use/Land Cover classification system to classify a provided image of Pascagoula, Mississippi at level I and II. Once the classification was complete we then had to determine the accuracy by 'ground truthing'. As this is an online course we used Google Maps/Earth to verify random points and then calculated the accuracy. 

I ended up with a fairly low accuracy. This was mostly due to errors in my residential class. I had a few buildings that were on the cusp of a residential and commercial area but ended up in the wrong class. I also had an instance of a church being located in the middle of a residential area. My highest accuracy was in the water class, 100%. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GIS 5935 - Data Quality Assessment

GIS 5935 - Surfaces - TINs and DEMs

GIS 5100 - Who is Gabrielle Hudson?